Thursday, February 11, 2016

That Edge Node: To tell stories via data

I mentioned that about a year ago having visited an amazing data visualization show in Barcelona. It was in a modern art museum and was easily the most impressive thing I had seen in my time in museums. As a story teller, what got to me was how data could be used for more than just utilitarian purposes. At the show there were some art installations, as well as stories told. And that latter matter is what got to me. How I could possibly tell stories via these methods.

To that end, my short story on the artist creating vast edge-node paintings that tell the story of a war or battle or some other aspect of humanity, is an ode to this idea. I do hope to see more of this in real life. As of yet I cannot find the artist or the scientist with beautiful renditions of humanity's narratives via data. But I see people striving in that direction.


Take this, for example. That someone could take the entirety of the Star Wars world and make it something we can view (though that might only be translatable by the most hardcore of fans) is interesting. What will be interesting is if one can properly tell stories or give full on narratives in this manner. I imagine it's only a matter of time. Thoughts?

Good writing, huh? Share it via email, facebook, twitter, or one of the buttons below (or through some other method you prefer). Thank you! As always, here's the tip jar. Throw some change in there and help cover the costs of running this damn thing

Then Subscribe to my mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format

1 comment:

  1. Edge nodes are the interface between the Hadoop cluster and the outside network. For this reason, they're sometimes referred to as gateway nodes. Most commonly, edge nodes are used to run client applications and cluster administration tools.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment to add to the discussion. Be kind. But let the democratic ideal lead you. And no spamming!