Monday, May 16, 2016

One Essay to Rule Them All

Lithub has a good article on the future of the essay. It's good enough to read, [1] though I suppose that sometimes the literary world (as presented by the main players) seems more and more a distant one from anything I know. Sometimes I have to wonder if indeed all those work shops I went to were too indicative of this world and its attitudes and affectations. As far as the article is concerned, there seems to be a complete disregard or ignorance for Borges and the pseudo essay. I'm really not sure why this is. But I dare say that a lot of it has to do with the isolation of a subsection of the literary world (or that which defines itself as such).


If you've followed me over the years, you'll know that I've switched from your basic realistic fiction to more and more fantastical topics. And the vehicle of preference for this all is the pseudo essay. I think I've mentioned this before. It's still something I'm wrestling with. The compact form of the pseudo essay will surely light the way for the multiple narratives (not arc not characters, narratives) I will need to include in my future work. 

Of course, people have been calling it the age of the essay for a very long time now [2]. And yet as a form, it has yet to achieve the popularity of its brethren. I'm really not sure why this is. Well, I know why, but I'm surprised. The essay can serve to get across some dense ideas. But there's a direct correlation between that and the difficulty in reading them. 

I've told you about Borges. I've also mentioned how the first read of his book turned me off. I only came back later and truly enjoyed it. It's certainly not fun. But what can one say about it? What are your thoughts on the essay? On my recent change in style? Anything would be great.

[1] I'll be honest, though, I touched on F for Fake's power here. And even that post was not close to original. 

[2] The reasons are plenty and they include how the form is compact and more direct than its competitors.
Good writing, huh? Share it via email, facebook, twitter, or one of the buttons below (or through some other method you prefer). Thank you! As always, here's the tip jar. Throw some change in there and help cover the costs of running this damn thing
Donate Bitcoins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment to add to the discussion. Be kind. But let the democratic ideal lead you. And no spamming!