[1] I should go even further to point out that Algo came up with pseudo code whereby he had prose that represented something like code that ‘called’ other tidbits of ‘prose’ from a library; this is not what I’m referring to, as that was fine.
[2] I talked to the dean, and she said, with great disgust, that they had no room for “that kind”, that they were an institution of higher learning, created to make the country better, people like that student—poets, she said disgustedly—were either parasites, or at best a piece of lace on the chair. I left her office, certain that I had interviewed the wrong person)
[3] I heard rumors about a possible hacking scandal might have been the reason: the day before he was kicked out, someone hacked the college’s website and placed the following banner: “College is for kissing rich kids’ asses in hopes of a job”. Which sounds like the silly sort of analysis only a freshman can muster.
[6] similar, but stemming from different ideas, to the “beauty of the poem over the code” argument that I mentioned earlier.
[7] I forget which specific group came up with realism first, but few were immune from it. However, the code fundamentalists would stay out of this (only further inflating their thought that their way was easily the best)—and many other fights because they had strict rules, but they also experimented less and had fewer followers.
[8] To show something of importance in the world, or highlight something about it that most people don’t know, or just take part in the cultural conversation.
[9] I cannot ignore the personal in all this. Some rifts occurred after lovers were stolen, and these were the longest lasting. Therefore actions that would seem inconsequential to outsiders resulted in breaking up of groups and tit for tat revenge schemes (all under the banner of some ideal, such as the ones above).
And, I'll comment here to say that if anyone doubts the ability of people to be creative, here's a story on some people trying to create something beautiful with code (well, novels and prose and such). Though it can be said that they aren't successful in the literature way of things:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.theverge.com/2014/11/25/7276157/nanogenmo-robot-author-novel